Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 30 -- January 23, 2011 -- The Last 24 Hours!

Somehow the last couple of days got away from me, but it doesn't matter because I was working the whole time and didn't buy anything except for yesterday, and what I did buy was necessary. That being, a pedicure and light lunch. Before you think that I blew my challenge, I need to explain. I mentioned early on that memories and friends supersede the no shopping challenge, and this is one of those occasions.

My heart is sad because a friend of mine is facing a health challenge that is making her anxious and worried. I would feel exactly the same way if it was me. Another friend and I took her out to give her a pedicure so she'd have a few moments to relax and let someone pamper (rather than poke) her. It was spa day for us at 675 Nails as we sat together, up in the chairs, and ate chocolate while our feet were sent through wringer. After our pedicures we went to a little tea shop and drank tea with a light lunch. I know my friend felt our love and concern, and hope that she healed and gained strength from the fun we were having. One of the gifts of the day was that my heart healed a little today as we laughed and enjoyed each others company. Friendship truly is a priceless gift, and I am a rich woman because of my friends.

Normally a pedicure would be decadence; yesterday it was a lifeline for all of us.

I began today doing homework and getting ready for work. It's not an easy task to get ready for work when half your beauty regiment is eliminated due to a lack of beauty products! The good thing was it took me about 15 minutes to get ready for work. The only thing that kept me from being frustrated as I said, "Mirror, Mirror, on the wall..." was that at 5:00 p.m., I would reach my 30 days, and I could buy the necessary beauty luxuries that I need to convince myself that the lines of time are not showing on my face. Likewise, I could cover up the blemish that is in direct contradiction with crow's feet. How can a person have crow's feet and a zit at the same time? Old age and adolescence join together to confound this 50-year-old. It defies logic!

Anyway, my plan was to make a beeline to Dominicks after I finished working today to buy some groceries, but while I was driving there I was actually feeling hesitant. Not shopping has become a habit -- a good one -- and I was feeling torn about ending my adventure. Still, my refrigerator and freezer are, for the the most part, bare. Over this 30 days, I successfully managed to put together meals without having to buy more groceries. I really missed salads, yogurt and sandwiches, but I survived. I don't miss Lean Cuisines or other frozen food.



I felt slightly disoriented as I drove into the Dominick's parking lot. I was looking forward to having lettuce, lunch meat and half-and-half in my refrigerator again, but I was determined not to stockpile things I didn't need. It's a funny thing, though. When you eat all the food in your house in the hope that it's going to save you money, you quickly realize that is not the case. Once you deplete everything, you need to replace it. Regular grocery shopping basically supplements what's already in the house and prevents the huge grocery bill at one time. The only real way to reduce one's grocery bill is to be selective, buy things that are on sale, and stay away from the processed food. So that's what I did. I spent $200, even with my Fresh Values card. Seriously, I have no idea what I bought that cost so much money. Maybe it was the Bing cherries. Or maybe it was the shrimp. Pasta was $1.00/box, so it wasn't that. It was probably the coffee or the cheese. Whatever it was, my food supply isn't that grand. I guess if you look at it, $200 for a month's groceries is not bad. Maybe I did save money.

Was I successful in my challenge? Certainly I saved money because I wasn't buying anything else. Remarkably, that part was easy. I simply didn't NEED anything so much that I had to buy it. I think I was true to the challenge: I didn't shop. Couple that with the fact that my checking account has $400 more in it than it would've at this point in the month if I hadn't done my challenge. In that sense I was VERY successful! So I'm seriously thinking about continuing my challenge with a few modifications. Food, for one, will be allowed -- including the half-and-half and Diet Coke. Other tangible things like clothes, and everything else I've pissed money on, can be avoided.

So I'm going to continue my challenge and only buy things that are necessities. When I determine that something is a necessity, I'm going to make every attempt to buy it used or borrow it. Nothing new.

I like this plan. We have too much in this world....too many 'things.' Perhaps I can make a difference simply by not buying any other products that will clutter this world. If I buy used things, they are already existing, so in a sense I'll be recycling.

So Karrie's No Shopping Challenge has a new face and new rules:

  1. Buy used things whenever possible. (New stuff that is a gift for other people is okay. I can't be tacky here.)
  2. Buy only necessities.
  3. THINK about something before buying it -- no impulse shopping or buying.
  4. Do not charge anything -- only pay cash.
That's it. We'll see how this version of the challenge works. I'll check in again soon. It's been fun writing this blog, and I thank you for reading it.

Maybe a little richer,
Karrie




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for not gifting me recycled pecans :)

    Congrats on completing your challenge!

    ReplyDelete