Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 24 - January 17, 2011 --Angel in Greens

This is getting really hard. I noted in my last entry that I'm out of a bunch of things -- hair goob and touch base for my eyes, for instance. But that is not what's so hard. I haven't had a salad in probably 12 days. I live on salads. I LOVE salads of all types. Simple greens, add chicken or shrimp. Add green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, mandarin oranges, croutons, pecans (the kind Janet loves or plain), walnuts, cranberries, sunflowers seeds, purple onion, chick peas, green peas, mushrooms, crumbled eggs....just about anything you can think of can go into a salad. Different ingredients makes for a different salad. So crisp and versatile.

I've really missed having a salad -- even found myself craving one. I've substituted cooked veggies of all kinds, but it just hasn't cut it. Granted, having cooked chicken, brown rice and Brussels sprouts is perfectly good for me, it just isn't a salad.

Last night, my friend Liz brought over dinner for me: pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes. Her daughter gave me a homemade cupcake for dessert. I've been eating well, but the dinner that Liz gave me was to die for! Why is it that when someone else makes it, the food always tastes better? I know it's not just me feeling that way; restaurants survive for that reason alone, I think. Anyway, I had a delicious dinner last night because Liz is a great mom and needed to drive her son back to school, just as dinner was ready. Lucky me!

Liz works in an office where lunch is brought in for all the employees, and today's lunch was Portillos. At the end of the day, a HUGE green salad was left untouched so Liz got to bring it home, and she gave me half of it. She was barely out the door when I was dishing it up; my mouth was watering just looking at all the bright greens of the various kinds of lettuce and I swear I've never seen more orangey carrots than were in that salad! The cucumbers were chunky and crisp. Heaven...I was in heaven as I ate the delicious salad. Thank you so much, Liz!

I was feeling under the weather today. I was headachy, dragging and sleepy, which isn't my usual state. Granted, doing homework all day when it's overcast and snowing will do that to a person, but I worried all day that I was getting sick. After eating my salad, I'm feeling much perkier. My headache is subsiding, too. Can it be that a salad brings homeopathic relief to make a person feel better? Or is it because I have a friend who is generous and kind in spirit because she's really an Angel in Greens?

Either way, I've decided that salad fixings is a necessity and it won't break my challenge if I go to the grocery store tomorrow and buy the stuff to make a really terrific salad!

Crunching away on fresh salad,
Karrie

p.s. I've got one more Diet Coke left. I worry I'm about to meet my Waterloo.

No comments:

Post a Comment