Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 18 - January 11, 2011 Opps...There It Goes!

My paper thin slice of soap slipped out of my hands this morning and went down the drain. Bye, bye!

This morning I had to stop by the grocery store to buy some American cheese for my 3rd grade class. It was the first time I have been in a grocery store since New Year's Eve, and I was there only to buy the cheese I needed for my class. I know what you're thinking....what in the world would I be doing in my class that I would need American cheese? I'm reading a book by Sarah Weeks titled Oggie Cooder, and the boy -- Oggie -- does a neat little trick called charving with American cheese. Charving? Yes. He takes a piece of American cheese and chews the edges off the cheese until he shapes it into one of the 50 states. His specialty is Texas and Wisconsin. The story is hilarious, complete with a snobby girl, Donnica Perfecto, who wants to steal his talent so she can win $10,000 on a show called Hidden Talents. She befriends Oggie and talks him into teaching her how to charve, and then pulls a fast one so he can't be on the show and do his own charving. Is charving as easy as it looks, and is her talent to charve as polished as Oggie's? You'll have to read the story to find out!

My third graders were laughing out loud when I read this to them, and they got their chance to charve after I finished the book....and that's why I needed to buy American cheese (soy cheese for the kiddos who are lactose intolerant). Each kid got a slice of cheese and a picture of a state. It was a great moment in the Baker Demonstration School library as 15 little 3rd graders looked like little rabbits as they charved their cheese. It was hilarious! What was even funnier is that after a bunch of the kids were able to charve Wyoming, Texas and Wisconsin, they all complained about the icky taste of the cheese and wanted to throw it away. Good thing -- American cheese isn't good for anyone!

I honestly can't count this as break of my challenge. I absolutely needed the cheese for my class. On my way to the check-out, with only cheese in my basket, I walked past the bath soap. I gave in and bought a package of two bars of soap (only thing available) and was shocked at how expensive it is -- I guess everyone thinks of soap as a necessity, otherwise it would cost less. Two bars of Dove cost me $3.39! Good thing a bar of soap lasts so long! I won't have to buy another one for a year! The harder thing was NOT buying this week's People Magazine because Valerie Bertinelli got married, and she was on the cover. I really, really, really wanted to read that story. I watched One Day At A Time when I was a kid, and have always liked her, but I left it.

I'll be glad when this challenge is over and I can buy a few things that will indulge me....like chocolate and People Magazine. It'll be nice when my chocolate cravings aren't met by eating chocolate chips. My wants are simple....my needs appear to be even more basic, as I'm discovering.

Only 12 more days to go,
Karrie




No comments:

Post a Comment